I started out as a full stack Software Engineer and then turned to Product Management because I wanted to have a larger share of voice on how to build products. So after brief stints at Wipro Technologies and Advisory Services Board, I did an MBA from the Asian Institue of Management in Manila Philippines and joined a startup in Bangalore.
Armed with textbooks of management knowledge and some working knowledge, I started building products for startups in Bangalore, India. It took me a few months to understand that I needed to unlearn a few things –
- Software Engineering + MBA != Great Product Manager
- Being a great PM is not an IQ contest. It is more like body building, which requires you to work on specific muscles with focus and for many years.
- Unlike an individual contributor engineer, your ability to make an impact does not depend on just you. The max impact you can make is function of
- Engineering team’s strength
- Design team’s strength
- Business team’s strength
- Alignment of vision between your roadmap with leadership’s priorities
- And many more more smaller aspects…
MakeMyTrip is arguable India’s oldest e-commerce company. I helped set up the first growth team at MakeMyTrip. Growth was seen as a function of Marketing till then and we built a product roadmap to leverage existing users to acquire new ones. From there, I went to to lead the product team for Customer Experience for Goibibo (also part of MakeMyTrip) and then led one of the largest verticals there.
Currently, I lead the product team for RazorpayX’s Platform Unit. At RazorpayX we’re building a neobank for businesses of various sizes across India. We’re a Series D company and are just getting started in our scaling journey.
You can find more about my professional experience on my LinkedIn profile.